Schools are a great place to do projects:
- All development programmes agree - educating children is the most effective and essential way to help teach cultures essential techniques for protecting the environment, understanding globalisation and the world and other cultures.
- Most African governments e.g. SA, Rwanda etc. buy into this idea and have compulsory school attendance for all children.
- There are schools even in the most isolated areas.
- Schools usually also have a better infrastructure than surrounding homes - especially e.g. in the Transkei.
- Children learn new technologies faster.
Of course one must beware:
- Children who learn useless technologies for which there are no jobs are not going to make happy adults.
- One must work together with the existing culture.
Schools file of Ron. See in particular Zwlenqaba Senior Secondary School. This is where the SELF project should be running. At Dwesa (Mpume JSS), the Fort Hare project is underway. There are 4 other schools, besides Mpume JSS, I don't have their coordinates however.
The schools programme is the easiest to implement, so it will be done first.
A very basic prototype to provide a basis for discussion.
The prototype will be used to upload content onto the internet.
The existing site and content will be passed by children in Berlin.
Da die Schuljahre so unterschiedlich sind zwischen DE und ZA, muss man spontan schauen, ob das Ende des Schuljahres 2007 (Suedafrika - Dez 2007) oder Ende des Winter Semesters Deutschland Maerz 2008 als Deadline genommen werden.
Further schools all around the world will be recruited to join the programme.
Contact with related groups - e.g. MobilEd may extend reach of content to cell phones.
Of course, the platform will be reused, maybe rebranded (different look and feel, same functionality), as part of functionality for the RuralICT4D Programme.